May 3, 2013 @ 2:03 PM
I had meant to come to this place for almost a year. I wanted to make excuses about being too busy but in truth, I was scared. I didn’t want to think about ever needing this place.
As I stood outside, my hand on the door handle, I remembered when I had randomly found this place. The owner, Kevin Woronchak, was outside and saw my Dogsafe Canine First Aid logo on my Honda as I saw his sign on the building behind.
“Please come for a tour sometime,” he said after we had chatted for ten minutes or so.
“Absolutely, our ......
December 22, 2012 @ 10:46 AM
Besides the arrival of Santa, holidays are the time when multi-coloured gifts, delicious baked treats and shimmering tree decorations appear around the house and are magnets for canine curiosity. However, this annual exploration may also bring hazards to our canine companions. “We don’t think that dogs will eat tinsel and sharp ornaments but the are a novelty and therefore enticing,” says Michelle Sevigny, creator of Dogsafe Canine First Aid and author of Dogsafe: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know in an Emergency.
If you have a dog, please consider these holiday safety tips:
1. Keep chocolate (especially baker’s and dark chocolate) and baked goods containing .........
October 30, 2012 @ 8:46 AM
When dogs are in an anxious state from the startling noise of fireworks, they may attempt to flee to escape the noise or become destructive thru digging, chewing or other negative behaviours. These destructive behaviours may put your dog at risk for injuries. When I was growing up, my dog was so scared of fireworks that she would bury herself in the dark corner of our laundry room, under piles of blankets and comforters. I didn’t know how to help her but luckily she didn’t become destructive to the point of hurting herself but many dogs do.
In regards to firework therapy, think about short-term management techniques as well as longer-term behaviour modification.
Reducing or eliminating your dog’s fears ......
October 12, 2012 @ 12:42 PM
Halloween brings yummy treats and ghostly fun for humans but what about our dogs? Halloween can be a hard time of year for many dogs. As a kid, my Chow Chow was so scared of fireworks that she would bury herself in the dark corner of our laundry room, under a pile of blankets. If your dog also finds Halloween stressful, please check out our safety tips:
1. Increase your dog’s exercise and walk him earlier in the day before the kids are out trick-o-treating. If your dog is exhausted, she has less pent up energy in which to react to the startling fireworks and freaky costumes.
2. Pumpkin .........
August 16, 2012 @ 5:49 PM
For many families, this is the time of back to school preparations, changes in family routines and soon-to-be empty houses. This chaotic time can also be stressful, and potentially dangerous, for the family dog.
During this busy back to school time, dogs suddenly find themselves alone for longer periods of time and under-exercised dogs that are left alone may begin to chew on household items that may cause cuts to the mouth, airway or intestinal obstructions. Or anxious dogs may even break through windows resulting in glass cuts or bored dogs may dig out of the yard, both of which can be safety risks if they get hit by a car or lost while on the loose.
However, a bit of planning ahead with these tips can reduce these ......
July 6, 2012 @ 9:20 AM
Summer is the time to enjoy beaches, picnics and outdoor sports with your four-legged family members but high temperatures can put dogs at risk. Dogs are susceptible to heat stroke because they cannot cool themselves as effectively as humans, sweating only from their paws and panting to reduce their body temperature. Dogsafe canine first aid instructors urge families with dogs to remember these canine cooling tips:
1. Always have cool water available to drink and don’t assume that water-filled creeks will be available along a forest dog walk or downtown stores will have canine water dishes. Always carry a water bottle or a collapsible bowl that you may fill at local water fountains, ......
May 25, 2012 @ 5:23 PM
DOGSAFE's demo dog, Monty, writes a Q & A guest post this week on why dogs eat grass. Welcome Monty:
Q. Hey Monty, I have a 4 month old chocolate lab puppy who is always eating grass; in our backyard, the park and sometimes he vomits as a result. Why do dogs do this and is eating grass harmful to my puppy?
A. It's no big deal. Some of us dogs eat grass and some don't. This is normal dog stuff. Some dogs who eat grass do vomit after eating it (I've seen my buddies devour the green stuff which ends in a nasty hurl) and some dogs who eat grass don't vomit (I don't, but do puke after eating bamboo leaves--- that's another story). Same reason my human would vomit after eating maple walnut ice .........
March 27, 2012 @ 3:47 PM
Easter is the time to celebrate traditions, hunt for chocolate bunnies, and squeeze colourful long-eared plush toys, but not all the festivities are safe for our four-legged companions. Dogsafe Canine First Aid urges families to be mindful of the dangers that the Easter Bunny may bring and offers these canine safety tips:
1. Keep chocolate bunnies out of reach as chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine, which if ingested by a dog, may cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, hyperactivity, tremors and can be fatal. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration of theobromine but even a 20 ounce milk chocolate bunny may cause serious problems for a 10 pound dog. White chocolate does......
March 13, 2012 @ 2:56 PM
Spring is the time for cleaning the house, preparing the garden and starting home renovation projects and as we spend more time outside, so do our four-legged companions. Dogsafe Canine First Aid Authorized Instructors remind families with dogs to be mindful of these spring time safety tips:
1. Keep cleaning products out of your dog’s reach and do not allow your dog to walk on or lick surfaces that are still wet with cleaning products. If your dog does come in contact with these surfaces, they may experience skin irritation and gastrointestinal upset. Most traditional cleaning products are safe to use around pets if they are used as ......
December 6, 2011 @ 12:32 PM
Besides the arrival of Santa, holidays also mark the time when attention-grabbing objects suddenly materialize around the house, at least from your dog’s perspective. Multi-coloured gifts, delicious baked treats and shimmering tree decorations are magnets for canine curiosity.
However, this annual exploration may also bring hazards to our canine companions. You don’t think that dogs will eat tinsel and sharp ornaments but they only appear once a year so they are a novelty. Seriously, and if you have a dog like my Monty, everything new is a magnet that goes straight into his mouth!
A couple of reminders to have a safe and fun canine Christmas:
1. Keep chocolate (especially baker’s and ......